sleepy Zeds - Copymaster 3D 300

I was having some real difficultiesd with getting everything flat and level with this Copymaster 3D. First the bed wasn't flat in the first place then I couldn't get a consistently level surface. Something else was up...

I could get the bed perfectly level and perform a test print fine, but without even power cycling the printer, my next print would start with the printer head 1mm off the bed and spaghetti would follow.
It took me far too long but when I decided to start from scratch, I spotted my Z axis was crooked. I fixed this but then it would just sag back down to its wonky original position.
I have a droopy Z axis and no amount of blue pills will fix that.

Fig1.1
The fix came is a pair of fairly inexpensive anti backlash bushes as pictured in fig1.1.
They come in three pieces. The top and bottom mesh together with a spring in between to maintain tension on the screw. Enough tension to prevent sagging but not enough to prevent the Z axis stepper motors from doing their job.
Swapping them was a case of removing the top of the printer then raising the Z axis till it came off of the end of the screws. 
Then the bushes can be replaced and everything reassembled.
Naturally the bush bolt holes were different to those on the Copymaster frame. 
I was going to need to drill them out and tap them as there is no room for nuts thanks to that spring.  The short term answer was to use locking wire which performed so well, I never changed it.
This did seem to help prevent the Z axis from sagging under its own weight. I am not so sure if it totally stopped the stepper motors from going out of step, I suspect their wiring might have something to do with the way they move too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Initial setup - Copymaster3D 300

Printing on fabric *Work in progress*

Choices